3.20.2009

33 years continued

my talented friend kim presented me with one of her intricately cut photographs as a present for my birthday. she began with a series of photographed winter trees, which i was an admirer of and also got the pleasure of seeing up close. she'd print out the photo and then, many x-acto blades and calluses later, all of the negative space around the tree was cut away leaving only the skeleton of the bare tree remaining. she has since done a couple of leaves in this very same style. the leaf's skeletonized remains looks like it's seen a long cold winter. she float mounted it and throughout the day i get to see the varying play of light and shadow. i feel honored to have received such a lovely piece of work. she is part of my dekalb experience i miss and i'm grateful to have something around me that reminds me of her everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment