4.12.2009

housekeeping

this weekend my list of to do's felt quite overwhelming and i get to a certain point where my coping mechanism goes from procrastinating to completely shutting done and feeling immobilized. i decided to not fight it and instead did very little. i drank coffee, read, and looked out my studio window a lot. I've been toggling between a few books... In|Different Spaces: Place and Memory in Visual Culture, Memory Quest, and Housekeeping. i spent the most time with Housekeeping this weekend. first, because it was the easiest read for my half-working brain and second, because i could escape into the book whereas the other two have me examining my own world. Marilynne Robinson was given the PEN/Hemingway Award for this, her first novel. I haven't pleasure read in so long that i think i've forgotten what it is i like to read. i do know that her writing sticks with me. i can already think of words that have lodged into the recessed crevices of my memory. 'It was a discomfort that was not to be relieved, like an itch in an amputated limb' or (this one i lifted out of the book to do it justice) 'And she would feel that sharp loneliness she had felt every long evening since she was a child. It was the kind of loneliness that made clocks seem slow and loud and made voices sound like voices across water. '
i think her writing is quite beautiful and the storyline is something that resonates with me.... the impermanence of people and things in our lives.
birdseed doily by jess witte


No comments:

Post a Comment