6.07.2009

Day 7 of 7 - Installation Nation





Today was hot and I was tired. I decided to take a break and check out the Indianapolis Museum of Art. The grounds were beautiful and the building was lovely and easy to navigate. I checked out the Special Exhibit, European Design since 1980, saw a Ghada Amer body suit, some beautiful Florence Knoll furniture and best of all, I got to revisit an exhibit Adaptation that I had seen at the Smart Museum. Guy Ben-Ner, Arturo Herrera, Catherine Sullivan and Eve Sussman & The Rufus Corporation all have adapted works of classic literature, film, ballet, email and painting into video installations. Eve Sussman and the Rufus Corporation's Rape of the Sabine Women and Guy Ben-Ner's Wild Boy are my favorites. I'd love to have Sussman's video playing on my tv in a loop. After the women have been abducted they end up lounging around in a swanky mid-century home. The love triangle of the Sabine women, the Sabine men, and the Roman men is subtlety shown. There is little audible dialogue and tensions build through body language and mainly camera angles and sound. I t was nice to have the chance to revisit the exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment